April 13, 2008

Brannon Update

I have just updated my Brannon family information on Rootsweb's WorldConnect Project. I have taken the drastic step of eliminating all information prior to the life and times of William "Wrighter" Brannon - that is, anything that would link the descendants of William Wrighter, father of Nancy, Mary, William A. "Squire," Thomas P., Elizabeth Jean (?), Catherine, Lorenzo Dow or Lourenza K., Susannah or Susanna, Dianna and Jacob Brannon (Brannan) of West Virginia.
As Gina Kuhl has reported DNA tests from the West Virginia line of the family which show that our ancestors were not related to Caron Branan (Brannan, Brannon, Branham or whatever), I think it's time we place more emphasis on the discovery of our legitimate (or illegitimate ?) ancestors. I intend to do this by separating the family away from the group who are clearly descended from Caron. My hope is that this will provide fresh perspective and incentive to dig deeper.
The information contained in my database is not very tidy, and in most cases not terribly well documented. The older generations, from Oliver back through Thomas P. to William "Wrighter" should all be considered to be lightly documented and in need of greater factual substantiation.
If you are working on this line of inquiry, the Brannons of West Virginia, back to the Old World, I would love to hear from you - especially if you have any new information to share!

2 comments:

  1. Dena, I believe that maybe I can help with the Ingram side, my cousin has done some research, but we may have left off in the same place. She has traced to the Ingrams' but we had a story from our grandfather Kenneth Alexander Brannon that their ancestors were from Germany and his great great grandfather was one of five brothers who came to escape the regime in Germany at the time but changed the name to escape being tacked. I will try to dig out the information my cousin sent on her ground work, however I am not sure how much we have that you do not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the very kind offer. I would welcome anything that would shed further light on this research.

    Dena

    ReplyDelete